Encroachment Permit Application Instructions

Encroachment Permit Packet

The Encroachment Permit Application Packet includes a checklist to use when submitting a completed Application.  A copy and/or email confirming your Central Contra Costa County Sanitary District Permit Number must be included in the submittal packet if a sewer lateral is being replaced.  This document is not listed on the checklist but is required.  

Listed below is how the Application Packet should be submitted once all supporting documents have been obtained. Encroachment Permit submissions should be emailed in electronic format to EngineeringPermits@Pleasanthillca.org

 - All pages must be sized to print at 8 ½ x 11 or 11 x 17 sheet size

 - Submittals shall have uniform orientation and page alignment

 - Plans must consist of a single PDF file (if necessary, merge multiple files into a single file)

 - Send application and supporting documents as one multi-page pdf package at one time (do not send single documents on different dates)

Carefully read and complete the Application Form in its entirety. Applications are to be signed by the applicant in the lower-left corner. If there are items that do not apply, enter “not applicable” or “N/A”. If you have assigned your own job or project number to the work, enter that reference number on the application form.

Once your application packet is verified to be complete, a City representative will contact you and provide you with a customized fee estimate based on your proposed scope of work and anticipated inspection needs. Permit fees can be made via check or credit card.  All incomplete permit applications will be rejected. The Engineering Division strives to review and approve residential permit applications within two working days. Review time for utility related permit applications will be longer, and applications will be processed in the order that they are received. 

All inspection requests shall be made at least 48 hours in advance of start of work by contacting (925) 671-5232, so the appropriate inspection staff can be scheduled accordingly. 

Pay for your Encroachment/Grading Permit Online!

When do I need an Encroachment Permit?

Encroachment permits are required whenever work is proposed within the public right-of-way or easement.

Typical examples of work include:
  • Trenching across public right of way for installation of water, sewer, storm drain, cable, and other underground utilities
  • Construction of curb, gutter, sidewalk, driveway, and roadway pavement
  • Water monitoring and extraction
  • Banner permit for City light poles
  • Transportation
  • Erecting or maintaining a post, sign, pole, or fence
View guidelines for improvements in the right of way.

Encroachment Permit Information Pamphlet
Grading Permit Informational Handout
Grading, Site Development and Drainage Permit Application Form
Transportation Permit Application Form
View the Fee Schedule