Used Motor Oil & Filters
Why Recycle Used Motor Oil & Filters?
Used oil is a hazardous waste that should never be put in the garbage or dumped in the storm drains or ground. Only ¼ gallon of motor oil can contaminate 250,000 gallons of water.
Pleasant Hill Curbside Recycling Program
- Put motor oil in clear plastic container like a milk jug.
- Tape lid tightly shut.
- Maximum 3 gallons of oil per pick up.
- Crush, open, or puncture, then drain oi filter (with puncture at lowest point) to ensure the anti-drain back valve is empty. More info www.dtsc.ca.gov
Place filter in sealable plastic bag - i.e. Ziploc Bag and seal.
Once it has been suitably packaged (as described above) set the used oil and filters on the curbside on a normal pickup day and it will be retrieved by Republic Services.
** Special Note:
- By law, transportation of motor oil cannot exceed 5 gallons per container with a maximum of 15 gallons per trip (three 5 gallon containers).
- Most drop-off facilities won't accept more than 5 gallons per visit.
- Do not mix motor oil with other automotive fluids.
Many businesses will accept used motor oil free.
In fact State-certified used oil collection centers will pay you to recycle – 16 cents per gallon!
Use the California Integrated Waste Management Board’s locator tool to search by city, county or zip code.
Find the answers and know the facts about how you can properly dispose of used motor oil & filters