- I Want To
- Learn About
- Used Motor Oil & Filters
Used Motor Oil & Filters
Why Recycle Used Motor Oil & Filters?
Used oil is a hazardous waste that should never be put in the garbage or dumped in the storm drains or ground. Only ¼ gallon of motor oil can contaminate 250,000 gallons of water.
Pleasant Hill Curbside Recycling Program
- Put motor oil in clear plastic container like a milk jug.
- Tape lid tightly shut.
- Maximum 3 gallons of oil per pick up.
- Crush, open, or puncture, then drain oi filter (with puncture at lowest point) to ensure the anti-drain back valve is empty. More info www.dtsc.ca.gov
Place filter in sealable plastic bag - i.e. Ziploc Bag and seal.
Once it has been suitably packaged (as described above) set the used oil and filters on the curbside on a normal pickup day and it will be retrieved by Republic Services.
** Special Note:
- By law, transportation of motor oil cannot exceed 5 gallons per container with a maximum of 15 gallons per trip (three 5 gallon containers).
- Most drop-off facilities won't accept more than 5 gallons per visit.
- Do not mix motor oil with other automotive fluids.
Many businesses will accept used motor oil free.
In fact State-certified used oil collection centers will pay you to recycle – 16 cents per gallon!
Use the California Integrated Waste Management Board’s locator tool to search by city, county or zip code.
Contra Costa County Used Motor & Filters Website
Find the answers and know the facts about how you can properly dispose of used motor oil & filters