- Feature Links
- Plastic Bag Ordinance
Plastic Bag Ordinance - Bring Your Own Bag!
Single Use Plastic Bag Ban Ordinance
On August 4th, the City Council adopted an ordinance to prohibit single-use (plastic) carryout bags in all retail stores. The ban went into effect on February 4, 2015. Under the ordinance, all restaurants, grocery, pharmacy and retail stores in Pleasant Hill will no longer provide single-use carryout plastic bags.
Stores are required to sell paper carry out bags for 10 cents each and should also provide reusable bags for a fee set by the retailer. Customers will have the option to bring their own reusable bags, pay for paper bags, or opt not to use a bag to carry goods from the store. Restaurants do not charge for paper bags but may charge for reusable bags, if they provide them.
Smaller protective plastic or paper bags, without handles, would still be allowed under the ordinance at no charge to the customer. Examples of these types of bags include:
- Bags used to wrap fresh produce, baked goods, frozen foods or meat etc.
- Bags used to protect spillage around containers of soups or other food items
- Plastic film used to protect dry-cleaning
- Paper bags used to protect merchandise such as bottled wine, candy, leftover food (‘doggy bags’), prescription drugs etc.
- Paper bags used in fast food establishments
The full text of the ordinance can be read here.
Plastic Bag Ban Flier (for display at retail stores)
If you wish to speak to City staff regarding the ordinance, please email Martin Nelis at email@example.com or call (925) 671-5229.
Bag Vendors:Apropos Promotions www.apropospromotions.com
International Paper www.ippaperbags.com
Bunzl San Francisco www.bunzldistribution.com
eco imprints www.ecoimprints.com
Luna Packaging www.lunapackaging.com
Forward Packaging http://www.forwardpackaging.com/
- eco imprints www.ecoimprints.com
- Cash & Carry Warehouse www.cashandcarrywarehouse.com
- Bunzl San Francisco www.bunzldistribution.com
- IFN Green www.ifngreen.com
- Green is Green www.greenisgreeninc.com